Sunday, August 14, 2011

Menu Planning - Without Taking Inventory or Making a Shopping List!

Life happens.  I guess that's the only way that I can explain what happened this week.  Our menu planning, inventory taking and list making had been going so well and then......we entered the grocery store without a plan.

Thursday afternoon I get a call at work from my husband saying he thinks we need to grocery shop Thursday night instead of our normal 'date' Friday night.  He was off on Thursday, bored and wanted to get out of the house.  I like to be flexible, but let me tell you.  I was tired, I was wearing high heels, I hadn't had a chance to put together the menu, inventory hadn't been taken and the shopping list wasn't made up.  However, for a little sweet talk and Panera's Fuji Apple Salad I'm up for almost anything!  Even wearing those darn heels for 13 hours straight.

At the grocery store we talked about what we wanted to eat that week, if I wasn't sure if we had the ingredients I called the kids and had them check for me.  All in all we did pretty good.  We only spent $160, $20 of which was dog food so that doesn't seem too bad.  I also found a killer deal on cereal which really excited me, we are well stocked with Fruit Loops for the next few weeks.  Here's what I'm planning on us eating this week.

Breakfast
Zucchini bread (I have three big ginormous zucchini's to shred and freeze)
Blueberry muffins
Cereal (does that surprise you after my deal?)
Jimmy Dean Breakfast Sandwiches
Bagels and cream cheese

Lunch
Frozen meals
bagel sandwiches
hot dogs
left overs
personal pizzas


Dinner
Brats
Hamburgers
Chicken tacos
Pizza on the grill (hopefully this week we'll perfect our technique)
Grab what you want night (I have a customer dinner, the family will probably have brats for a second night)
Dinner Out
Not sure - I actually don't know what we're going to do one of the nights.  we might order a pizza or just throw together a meal with what I have in the freezer

I'm starting to think about what I'm going to make for my freezer cooking I'm scheduling the last week in August.  We're both on vacation that week and I have about a gazillion things I want to get accomplished.  One of which will be filling up the new freezer I'm hoping to buy :)

By the way, my husband was jammed on Friday (had to work both 1st and 2nd shift) so I would have been grocery shopping by myself.  I guess there was a bigger plan in place.  I went clothes shopping instead.  That was soooo much more fun :)

What about you?  What's on your plate?

I'll be linking this up over at I'm an Organizing Junkie

2 comments:

  1. My grocery store has a pick 5 meat aisle. I usually don't even tril to meal plan unless I go there first lol. I meal plan in the store... which can be fun with 3 kids, but hey.. it works lol

    I don't think I could shop in heels though... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use to make my meal plan in the store but it always seemed like I'd forget an item and not be able to make it! Planning the menu and taking inventory has been really beneficial for me, even without three kids tugging at me :) Trust me - I don't typically shop in heels either. If we didn't grocery shop in a different city I'd have driven home for a pair of comfy shoes. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete