Even though the living room gets the most use, I actually find it the easiest to keep clean. My plan of attack is to try and pick up before I go to bed every night. A pick-up takes me about 10 minutes and consists of the following:
- Dog toys picked up and put in their 'toy box'
- Books/magazines that are left out are put in the appropriate reader's room. This includes some instructions to the kids to come get their stuff if they are home.
- Take any glasses that may have been left on the end tables into the kitchen and in the dishwasher. This might also include a little bit of yelling if it's not my glass. I'm not a huge fan of eating in the living room and I don't like the kids bringing food or drink in there.
- Fluff the pillows
- If I find the TV looking fairly dusty I'll put a big X on the screen so that whoever is watching TV the next day dusts it for me. They just LOVE when I do that to them but it works so I keep it up.
Several times a month I try to do a deep dive cleaning which consists of the following:
- Lemon oil the furniture
- Moving the furniture and vacuuming behind everything
- Thoroughly dust all non-wood surfaces including pictures, knickknacks, window dressings, etc
I'll be linking this up over at I'm an Organizing Junkie