Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Bathroom Organization

As you know I was on vacation the last week and a half (if you don't know you can read about it here).  When I'm on vacation from work I try to get done a lot of the stuff around the house I typically don't have time to do. 

A while ago I wrote about how I keep the bathroom semi-company ready and I shared a picture of our deep dark secret


Yep - our messy cabinet.  I like to think of it as a burglar alarm, if any of our company snoops we'll hear them when everything falls out!  Here's another one of our dirty secrets - my drawer




You see that hair clip that has a prominent spot in the drawer?  I hate it and never use it but I just push it around every day because that seems easier than actually cleaning out the drawer.  Well, I've finally had enough so I headed over to the dollar store and bought myself some totes.  I then got pretty ruthless throwing out stuff and organizing it.  Here are the results:




I have two totes in the cabinet, one for me and one for my daughter (the boys use the upstairs bathroom).  Any product that doesn't fit in the tote doesn't belong in the bathroom.  I will say that I think the tote is going to get a little messy because the bottles kept falling over when I was trying to organize, but it will still be better than falling all over the cabinet.

This drawer is for items I use every day.  I also cleaned out the other drawers (no - I didn't just move everything to a drawer you guys couldn't see!) creating one for nail care, one for razors & trial size bottles (I bought a container for those too) and one for my jewelry. 

Overall I'm pretty pleased with my organization of the bathroom, now I just need to do the same for the boys bathroom!

How about you?  Did you have any organizing projects the last week?

I'll be linking this up over at A Slob Comes Clean, I'm an Organizing Junkie and Organize with Sandy.  I'd encourage you to stop over and visit their blogs.

You might also like:

Cleaning out the Pantry

13 comments:

  1. That looks well organized! Where did you get the long white baskets in your second picture? I could use a couple of those in some of my drawers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I found them at the Dollar Tree. My intention was to only get the baskets for the cabinet but when I saw those I thought they were a good idea. So far I'm liking it. Certainly easier to find what I need in the morning versus my previous method!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! I love before and after pictures! I found you through Org. Junkie. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, it's amazing how organizing something like that can make you feel sooooo much better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my word! What a huge difference! And I can totally relate to the hair clip thing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That hair clip had been around for almost four years before I finally threw it away. You know the best part, it's been two weeks and the drawer and cabinet still look that neat. Success!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done for facing your messy spots - I've got far too many of those! Bet it feels great not having to push that old hair clip around anymore. Found you through Nony

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks - Those messy spots just seem to creep up. I've gotten rid of a couple of them and it does feel pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful - I just cleaned two of my bathroom drawers out yesterday and was shocked at how much useless junk was in there. I threw most of it away - craziness...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good for you! It is crazy how much useless junk we hang on to. I'm working on cleaning out the laundry/storage room in the basement and I'm appalled by what I'm finding!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job! I am terrible about not getting around to reorganizing areas that are driving me nuts. When we renovated our bathroom last year, we replaced the sink with cabinet underneath with a pedestal sink, and we installed OPEN shelves above the toilet. Not having that hidden cabinet has prevented us from creating a "black hole" of clutter! Because the shelves are visible, everything on them has to stay neat.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the small baskets that you used in the drawer. I could use those in my night stand by my bed. It like playing "52 pickup" in the top drawer when I go looking for something. I'm making a list of what I want to look for at the Dollar Tree Store. Looks like it's going to be a rainy day so may not get there until next week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The baskets have been a tremendous help for keeping this space organized. I've been thinking of other ways to use baskets to keep me more organized

    ReplyDelete