Earlier this week my husband asked me when I organized the kitchen cabinet. After I told him that I didn't, we argued (light-heartedly) back and forth whether I did or not. I would know after all if I had organized something, wouldn't I? Turns out I wouldn't. I had totally forgot that I had done it but my ever watchful husband who notices everything, noticed that I had added some new items to my kitchen stash in the basement. I created a shelf downstairs for those items that are used a few times a year so that I don't have to deal with them the other three hundred forty some days of the year. This is either a sign that this organizing is becoming second nature or that I'm losing my mind. You can choose.
This post isn't really about that cabinet, I just thought it was a funny story. I'm going to talk some more about my closets. When we finished our family room a few years ago we had three storage closets built. No, it wasn't because I needed the space (which I did), it was because our builder was a bonehead and put utilities in pretty much every corner of the basement. Oh well, we did need the storage space so I'm not going to complain to much.
I don't have a before picture because I just wanted to get it done but here is my final product. The picture is a little dark because when I turned on the closet light it added quite a bit of glare.
This closet was mostly used
Here are my steps:
- The first thing I did was pick up my heavy duty storage shelf at Lowe's that I've used in my other closets.
- Pulled all items out of the closet
- Swept & vacuumed area (we want to start with a clean area, don't we?)
- Sorted items, discarding those items no longer needed
- Stacked my luggage within same brands. Can you believe that the smaller bags actually fit inside the larger bags like a Russian Doll? I know - amazing isn't it?
- Neatly put everything back
What have you accomplished this week/month as far as organizing?
I'll be linking this up to I'm an Organizing Junkie and Organizing with Sandy
You might also like:
Organizing Someone Else's Space
Organizing the Coat Closet
Organizing the Spices