Thursday, July 21, 2011

Organization Project - Getting Started

I was not able to do an organizational project this week but I've mapped out my next 'big' project that I'm going to tackle.  Most likely this will be a several week project but I'll be posting updates as I go.

Here is it, a little embarrassing isn't it?  This is my laundry room/junk room.  It's the only part of our basement that isn't finished and the only real storage area that we have.  There's a table underneath that big pile in the center so it's not quite as awful as it looks, I know it looks pretty awful!  I was quite happy to see that my son was caught up with folding so at the least laundry baskets are empty except for socks:)


I will be using the 5S process to get this room in order.  5S is an organizational method that is used as part of Lean and Six Sigma and stands for; Sort, Set, Shine, Standardize and Sustain.

Most likely I will try to address one of these each week to make the process a little less overwhelming and will be reporting my process as I accomplish each one.  During my reporting I'll go into a little more depth about the meaning of the process. 

This week I'll be tackling the Sort process.  I have already identified several large categories that I need to find solutions for (clean clothes, stockpile items, give away items, photos/scrapbook items, sewing items, etc).  I'll keep you updated!

How do you plan out a major organization project?  I'll be linking this up at I'm an Organizing JunkieStuff and Nonsense and The Shabby Nest.

By the way, I haven't forgotten my other project (you can read about that here).  With this heatwave I haven't wanted to do a lot of manual labor, so that's getting pushed aside until the heat breaks.






6 comments:

  1. That looks exactly like the laundry room I grew up with... my parents finally got it under control after all the kids moved out. I wish you luck in getting yours tackled much, much sooner than that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hoping to get it under control before the kids move out too! It seems like every year I do this but I have trouble moving to the sustain mode. Hopefully I'll come up with some good storage tools to keep it under control! Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some things take more time, my latest post is another example. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the baskets that you had in your amoire. I can't wait until I get to the point where I can design my storage system, you're looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't get any of my organizing goals completed this week--decided to not do a post but I sure do need to get busy despite having my daughter and 5 children now living in the house. Never a dull moment....today it was the 2 and 3 year old completely covering themselves in lipstick and me spending over 2 hours trying to clean carpets while my 14 yr old attempted to bathe them. Now I have a pink bathtub yet to contend with!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can do it! A clean laundry room makes doing laundry so much more pleasant!

    ReplyDelete