Friday, July 8, 2011

How I Save Money - Freezing My Own Strawberries

I know - it seems like I must have strawberries on the brain since I've written so much about them lately.  I have to admit -  I do!  After picking and preparing six flats of strawberries over the last two weeks that's pretty much what I have on my mind.  You can read about my strawberry picking escapades here and here.  I pick this many strawberries for a few reasons 1)my family loves my strawberry shortcake (recipe here) 2) The strawberries I freeze are better than the strawberries I buy in the store 3) I save money and I LOVE saving money. 

Here's the break down of my savings:

Each 16 oz I freeze costs ~$1.50 (includes strawberries, sugar & container)
a 16 oz store container    ~$3.00 - $4.50 (depending on store & sales)
Minimum savings            ~$1.50 per package

I made at least 40 16 oz batches so I estimate that I saved about $60.  For the time and effort I put into this $60 doesn't sound like a lot, however we get a lot of enjoyment out of the picking and the family prefers the taste better.

Did you pick any strawberries this summer?  What do you do with yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment