Sunday, May 6, 2012

Fend for Yourself Ideas

If you are a regular reader of my blog, you'll know that every week we have at least one or two  "fend for yourself" nights.  Since it is a regular on our menu plan I thought I'd share some of the items that I keep around the house for those nights when the kids are on their own.

Basically, a "fend for yourself" night is just what it seems.  Every family member is responsible for making their own dinner.  I plan these on nights when we're all coming and going with no hope of sitting down as a family.  If I'm around when one of the kids is eating I will sit down at the counter with them so that we can spend a few minutes together.

Even though everyone is responsible for feeding themselves, I do want to make sure that there are healthy, semi-nutritious options available for them.  I can't control whether they eat them or not, but they are available!

Snacks
Del Monte No Sugar Added Mandarin Oranges
Nature's Child Applesauce Squeezables (my daughter's friends tease her about these but she loves them!)
Pre-packaged sliced apples with caramel
Apples
Oranges
Bananas
Strawberries
Mushrooms

I have found that it I put the fresh fruit (apples, oranges, bananas) in a bowl on the counter the kids (and me) are more apt to eat them. If they are kept in the fridge they tend to be forgotten. The pre-packaged fruit is a little more expensive, but the I feel more comfortable with the all-natural aspect and the packaging is convenient for the kids to grab it on the go and they stay fresh longer.



Meals
Frozen Lean Cuisines or Kashi meals
Hard boiled eggs (for egg salad sandwiches or as is)
Flavored tuna packs
Mac & Cheese
Sweet Baby Ray's Pulled Pork
Frozen hamburgers patties (our son is old enough to throw them on the grill for him and Belle)
Soup
Sandwich meats

Depending on what we've had earlier in the week the kids may opt for leftevers, otherwise the options above (or something similar) is pretty much available all the time. Of course, that doesn't stop the kids from complaining that there's nothing to eat :)

That's what fend for yourself looks like in our house.  What does it look like in yours?  Do you have any other ideas to share?

You might also like:

$50 Old Navy Gift Card Giveaway (ends 5/18)
10 Things I learned Being a Beauty Pageant Contestant
12 Decorating Projects for 2012 - Update






1 comment:

  1. We call it 'Grab it 'n Growl' at our house. We almost always have leftovers. We try & plan it that way on purpose. The kids & I take our lunch everyday plus, on the nights that King T is gone, we eat up what's left. Otherwise, the standbys are: ramen, chicken nuggets, breakfast for dinner, cereal or sandwiches.

    Our fruits & veggies stay in the fridge. With our pellet stove running in the kitchen during the winter, the heat makes stuff yucky & the dust makes me 'oogly'.

    ReplyDelete