Saturday, October 2, 2010

Freezer Cooking

It's a Saturday morning and I actually have some time to myself. The husband is at the gym, my son is at work and my daughter is at a sleepover. I've brought my laptop home from work and I've gotten some work done (not enough but I feel a little better) and now I'm wondering what I should do with my couple of hours. Should I clean (we're going out with another couple tonight and their daughter is spending the evening with our daugher), prepare freezer food or just relax?

You guessed it, I have trouble relaxing so I think I'm going to do some food prep. The freezer in the garage is filled with apple slices, blueberries, cranberries, zucchini, tomatoes, rhubarb and strawberries. Here's my plan for the day:

Cranberry relish (grandma's recipe that I'll publish later)
Homemade applesauce
Blueberry muffins
Zucchini muffins
Rhubarb squares

A little aggressive since I only have about two hours but we'll see how much I can get done.

Update:
I did manage to get do the following cooked but not divied up yet due to additional cooling or marinading that needs to be done:

  • Cranberry relish (enough to fill a That's a Bowl from Tupperware)
  • Homemade applesauce (a large pot filled almost to the top - created quite a mess on my stove)
  • Apple slices (I know it wasn't on the original list but my husband has been begging for them so I thought that would be better than rhubarb squares)

Mike got home from the gym before I could do the blueberry muffins so I needed to get ready to do our Saturday grocery shopping together. I may try to squeeze the muffins in yet this afternoon when I bake some cookies for the girls this evening. I'll let you know!

2 comments:

  1. I work outside the home also, and freezer cooking on the weekends IS my relaxing weekend activity! (That's what my blog is all about, make-ahead cooking: http://eastside-make-ahead.blogspot.com) I'm excited to follow a blog of another mom who works outside the home - thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can definitely say I don't cook to relax :) but having food in the freezer does make life a little easier, doesn't it? I'm glad you enjoyed your visit over here. Your recipe for Garlic Buttered Steak made my mouth water, I love steak!

    ReplyDelete