Sunday, June 24, 2012

This Week's Menu

Life has been pretty hectic around here.  So hectic that I forgot all about strawberry season coming early this year.  About a week ago I realized that I should check to see when strawberry picking started only to find out that it was already the last picking weekend.  There was one picking time left but I had already made a commitment during that time.  Fortunately I did have time to swing by the Farmer's Market and take advantage of some pre-picked strawberries.  They were a little more expensive than picking them ourselves so I only got two flats (last year we picked six!  You can read about them here and here).  Even though we will have less fresh strawberries for shortcake it worked out pretty well.  I was able to get them all taken care of without being totally overwhelmed or "volunteering" my children to help.

This week is fairly quiet.  I have my investment club and we have some dinner plans later in the week but otherwise it shouldn't be to stressful.  I'm taking a risk by planning to make the chicken on a week night.  The chickens are thawed and in the refrigerator so I don't have much choice.  Of course we may not be eating until 6:30 that night.

Today was the family barbecue.  My aunt and uncle, who I rarely see, were there.  Guess who opened her big, fat mouth about my uncle's surprise birthday party?  Yeah - that would be me!  My only saving grace is that he really already knew it as his brother (my other uncle) left a message on their machine that they would be coming into town for the party.  So much for secrets in our family :)

Here's what we're planning this week.  Be sure and check out the awesome salad my mom served.



Family barbecue (my mom made this rockin' Tomato and Black Bean Salad)
Brats, potatoes, tomato salad, corn, applesauce
Chicken on the grill, mashed potatoes, glazed carrots
Hamburgers, grilled pineapple, strawberry salad
Fend for yourself
Dinner with friends
Chinese take-out

That's what we're serving.  What's on your menu?  Feel free to leave a comment or link in the comment section.

You may also like:

Remodeling the Kitchen
Saving for Christmas with Viggle
10 Things I Learned Being a Beauty Pageant Contestant

 I'll be linking up at I'm an Organizing Junkie

1 comment:

  1. I did the same thing when I wanted to go apple picking one year. :)

    ReplyDelete