Sunday, March 6, 2011

Freezer Cooking Wrap-up and a Recipe

I finally had a productive weekend and boy - does it feel good!  I did go into work both Saturday and Sunday but I found time to do some cooking, housework and entertain some family.  I just need to find a little more strength to get my clothes and stuff ready for the coming week and then I can crash.

Here's what I did in the way of cooking this weekend.  Not as much as I would have liked to have gotten done but it will at least give us something to eat for the next week or so.

-1 pan enchiladas (recipe below - it's super simple)
-1 dinner of taco chicken meat (chicken wasn't on sale so I didn't want to buy more than one)
-1 pot of potato soup (it wasn't from scratch and we did eat some of it for dinner but it will feed the kids for at least one more meal)
-1 pot of chicken rice soup (1st time making chicken soup from scratch.  I used the carcass from the chicken I bought for the taco, added some frozen stew vegetables, brown rice and salt/pepper.  Not bad for my first time but I'm going to continue to work on the recipe)

I also found a frozen meatloaf from a couple of months ago that had gotten pushed into the back of the freezer, it should still be fine so we can have that one night too.

Enchiladas
1 can/jar of enchilada sauce
8 tortillas
1-2 lbs of ground hamburger (we like a lot of meat in ours, you can use less if you prefer)
Cheese
1/4 to 1/2 onion (depending on the size)

Brown the hamburger and onions, drain and put back in the pot.  Add about half of the enchilada sauce (I judge how moist it is, you don't want the meat very wet).  Lightly grease a 9 x 13 pan.  Take a tortilla, add a spoonful of the meat mixture, top with cheese and roll semi-tightly.  Please seam side down in pan and repeat with balance of tortillas.  I usually have some of the meat left which I throw on top of the tortillas along with the rest of the enchilada sauce and some cheese.  Bake in a 375 oven for about 30 minutes.

I'd love to hear how your weekend went.

No comments:

Post a Comment