Saturday, March 12, 2011

World Events

We really do live in a small world and it never ceases to amaze me how such a catastrophic event so far away can have an impact on me, living in the midwest of the United States. 

First off I want to say to my readers in Japan as well as other affected areas that you have my thoughts and prayers as you go through this.  I hope that you and your families are safe from the earthquake, the tsunami and the scare of the nuclear meltdown that you are facing right now.  I have family over in Japan (as of right now everyone is fine) and am worried sick about their safety as events continue to unfold.

I was awake Thursday night/Friday morning (I've been having trouble sleeping lately) and saw the breaking news about the earthquake and the tsunami warning.  I have a cousin who is currently stationed at the Air Force base with his wife and two children, I wasn't sure where the base was located so I didn't know if I should be worried about him.  I did hear on the news later that morning that the base wasn't affected at all, which made me feel quite a bit better.  Another cousin (the brother of the airman) is living in a town on the coast outside of Tokyo teaching English as a second language.  By about 5:30 Friday morning I had heard from my uncle that both were safe and sound. 

Hearing about the tsunami warnings for Japan, Hawaii and the west coast of the US really makes me marvel at how fortunate we are to have the technology that we have so that warning could be given to evacuate the areas.  How many more people would have died if that warning would have been given.  Technology really does bring good things with it.

To any of you that are there or have friends and family that you are worried about know that you are being prayed for and thought of.  Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment