Sunday, July 8, 2012

Orange Marmalade Cupcakes



My mom doesn't bake a lot but she has some pretty creative ideas.  Knowing my penchant for cupcakes she enjoys coming up with suggestions for me to try.  This recipe is actually a twist on a desert she likes to make using frozen pound cake.  Don't let the fact that it's made of pound cake scare you off.  This cupcake was light, incredibly moist and very flavorful.

Orange Marmalade Cupcakes

1 box pound cake mix (plus ingredients needed from the box)
Orange juice (optional)
Orange (optional)
1 can mandarin oranges
1 8oz cream cheese
1/4 cup butter
Powdered sugar
Orange marmalade

Following the directions on the pound cake box, bake the pound cake in cupcake tins.  Instead of the water that my pound cake called for I used the juice from the mandarin oranges as well a handful of crushed mandarin oranges.  Because I used the Tastefully Simple pound cake which has a distinctive almond flavor I didn't want the orange to be overwhelming.  If you are going to use a little blander pound cake I would recommend substituting the water with orange juice to give the cake a little more flavor.

Once the cupcakes have cooled, melt about four tablespoons of orange marmalade in the microwave.  Using a barbecue brush, "paint" the tops of the cupcakes with the melted marmalade.

In a mixing bowl combine the softened cream cheese and butter with approximately 3 cups of powered sugar (more or less sugar to your taste).  If you desire a little "orangier" taste to your frosting you can add a little fresh squeezed orange or use some orange juice.  Make sure the frosting still maintains peaks so it doesn't run off your cupcakes.

Add your frosting to a zip topped sandwich bag.  Cut a small amount of the corner off to use as a frosting bag.  Squeeze a small amount on the top of your cupcake.  While I'm a huge fan of frosting, I found this cake to be so flavorful that to much frosting was overwhelming.

Top your cupcake with a mandarin orange.

Note:  The number of cupcakes you get depends on the pound cake that you use.  The Tastefully Simple Pound Cake I used resulted in 12 cupcakes.

Enjoy!

You might also like:

Triple Chocolate Cupcake
Pink Lemonade Cupcake

9 comments:

  1. I've not actually heard of pound cake mix - is that on the shelf by the flour? thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found some by the cake mixes. Betty Crocker makes one (I bought it but I didn't use it so I can't speak to the taste) and I know Tastefully Simple makes one but there's is a little on the expensive side. You'll have to let me know how it turns out for you!

      Delete
  2. Yummy! Following you from Creative Mondays

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a good idea. I found this through Creative Mondays on Judy H-J's Thoughts. I have linked in a post about some retro prawn cocktails I did. Have a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to give credit to my mom, it was her idea :) I LOVE prawns, I'll stop by and check them out.

      Delete
  4. These sound great and look so yummy,thanks for joining us at Creative Mondays,new follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - they're as good as they look! Thanks for stopping by and hosting every week.

      Delete
  5. Looks good! Thank you for posting on Saturday Show and Tell. I hope you'll be back this week.
    -Mackenzie
    http://www.cheeriosandlattes.com

    ReplyDelete