Sunday, April 22, 2012

Zucchini Bread


I work with a woman who is a consummate gardener, every year she keeps me supplied with zucchinis and tomatoes.  She was also generous enough to give me her zucchini bread recipe which is one of the best that I've tasted.

Before I give you the recipe, I must warn you that this is not low-fat.  I've been playing around with making a lower calorie recipe but haven't quite perfected it.  Once I have a recipe that tastes as good (or almost as good) I'll share it with you.  For now, here's the full calorie version!

Zucchini Bread

3 eggs - beaten
1 cup oil
2 cups sugar
2 cups shredded zucchini
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda (I use heaping teaspoons)
3 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking power
1/2 cup nuts - optional

Combine dry ingredients together.  In a large bowl, beat eggs.  Add in oil, sugar and shredded zucchini (I cut mine up and then put in a food processor.  If you would prefer you could shred it using a cheese grater).  Gradually add dry ingredients, mixing thoroughly with a spoon.

Pour into two greased & floured bread pans, bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes at 350.

If you are planning on giving as a gift or taking somewhere right away, an idea would be to wrap the loaf in wax paper and tie with twine. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment