Friday, November 4, 2011

Organization Plans for this Weekend

This has been a crazy week for us.  Between my husband being out of town, a band concert, a work dinner and guests coming over for dinner I haven't had a chance to do anything this week in the way of organizing, cleaning or writing!  Now that my husband is back in town (or will be shortly) we'll be going out for dinner tonight with the kids and tomorrow night with friends to celebrate my birthday.  Since I bought myself some new clothes and treated myself to a massage there aren't any presents to be had but it will be nice being together as a family.

Once again it is my husband's weekend to work so that means I have lots of free time on my hands.  The last time he worked I way over did it so I'm going to take it a little easier this time and tackle a few projects that I've been wanting to do but just haven't gotten to.

As you may or may not know from reading my posts I've decided to hire a cleaning service to come clean my house every three weeks.  I interviewed two college girls today who have started their own house cleaning business.  They are coming for the first time in two weeks - I am so excited!  The downside to having strangers in your house cleaning is that I feel like I'm going to be judged and found lacking in my organizational skills.  Hence the mad dash this weekend :) 

These are all fairly non-time consuming.  They just required some planning, shopping and a little bit of elbow grease.  Here is what I'm going to do this weekend.

Organize the boys cabinet.  If you remember I did the girls bathroom a few months ago and am pleased to say that we've been doing a good job of keeping of keeping it organized.  Let's hope the boys have the same success. 

I also want to add a shoe bag in our front closet.  It seems no matter how often I straighten those shoes they get to be a mess.  My husband and I have talked about a couple of different options and believe this to be the best one for us.  The plan is to buy some command hooks and use a shoe bag that my mom has.  If it works well I may look for a nicer bag but this will at least let me know if this is a good plan. 

The corner cabinet in my kitchen is an absolute mess.  There are a lot of items that aren't regularly used and the plastic containers are in disarray.  I plan to take out the items that aren't used regularly and store them in my "non-essential kitchen item" area.  I will also be going through my plastic containers, keeping the ones that have matching lids while ditching the ones that don't.  I'll also be looking for some kind of holder for the lids.
Here's the before picture.

Next is the girls bathtub.  All I can say is that we have a ton of stuff in there that is non-essential.  Somehow all kinds of items end up there that don't need to be.  After thinking about a solution I've decided to get a shower tote for both me and my daughter that we can each put our essentials in and then carry them in and out of the shower.  I think this will help keep the shower cleaner (less stuff for water to accumulate around) and stop the almost daily deluge of products falling off the shelf.

Last on my to-be accomplished this weekend is the completion of my spices.  As I mentioned in a previous post I've moved a lot of my spices over to the on-the-counter spice rack and re-labels them appropriately.  However I do still have quite a few spiced in the pantry that need a better organization system.  I'll be finished that up this weekend too.  Here is my before picture.

Whew!  I'm tired just thinking about everything I need to do.  As I said though, these are all pretty easy and shouldn't take up to much time.

Well - I'm off to color my hair before dinner tonight.  I don't want to look my age and these gray roots are giving it away!

What will you be organizing this week?  Feel free to leave a link in the comments.

I'll be linking this up over at I'm an Organizing Junkie, Organize with Sandy and A Bowl Full of Lemons

You might also like:

Sustainability
Laundry
Linen Closet

1 comment:

  1. Cleaning services rock! Other than the cleaning you do to get ready for them and trying to keep the babies/dogs away, awesome!

    ReplyDelete