Tuesday, November 1, 2011

This Month's Birthday Cake

My daughter absolutely loves cake decorating shows.  I don't watch a ton of TV but we do enjoy sitting down together and looking at some of the really cool cakes that are made on those shows.  Last year for her birthday I splurged and bought a fancy cake from a local baker.  The cake set me back quite bit but it was worth it when I saw her face, she was so excited

This year I want her to have the same experience but I don't want to spent the same amount of money.  I've decided to try my hand at decorating her cake.  Unlike my friend Annie (who made that wonderful water park cake), I don't typically make my kids birthday cakes.  However, I'm a capable woman so I decided to give it a go this year. 

The first thing I did was go to the Wilton cake decorating site to get some ideas.  This is the cake that I've decided to make:

Nature Designs with a Hint of the Orient Cake

The cake is listed as somewhat easy to make and the reviews are all positive.  I will need to spend some money on fondant and molds but since these are pretty basic I should be able to use it in the future. 

My plan is to make two different flavors for the different layers and use her favorite colors instead of the colors in the picture.  I'm taking the day off before her family party so I'll have all day to get it done without her being around.

I'll be sharing step by step how I did it once I completed it.  I'm very excited!  I'm really looking forward to the cake and have all kinds of ideas for future cakes.

Guess what else - I found out yesterday that we were selected to host one of the Just Dance 3 parties through House Party.  We're going to use the house party as a birthday party, my daughter is very excited.  Between the cake and the Just Dance, this will be a birthday to remember :)

What kind of cakes do you make?  Feel free to share a link to any of your cake posts in comments.

I'll be linking this up over at We are THAT Family and A Bowl Full of Lemons

4 comments:

  1. My mom always made amazing cakes for our birthdays. Teddy bears, dragons, all kinds of thing. I haven't tried my hand at a fancy cake yet, but I love simple cakes like applesauce cake, chocolate or vanilla cake with a whipped cream/jam (just mix the two together) frosting and chocolate with whipped cream and strawberries or raspberries. Hmmm..... cake!

    Haley @thedistractedblogger

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my first fancy cake in a long time so I'm kind of excited about it. I'm a firm believer in picking your battles, for a long time homemade cakes weren't one of them. However, I've broken down and hired a once a month cleaning service. They are doing their first cleaning the day before the party which leaves me free to bake a fancy cake :)

    I love applesauce cake - do you have the recipe posted on your blog? I' love to try it sometime. As for frosting I'm a buttercream girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just worked with fondant for the first time this year. I decided not to cover the cake with fondant, I'm pretty good at icing coverage anyways. But I did make lot's of different fondant flowers in bright summer colors and piped ferns all over the sides of the cake. The flowers were piled on the top and the base layer. I think it turned out pretty for a first timer. Usually I do single layer cakes and pipe it all. It's always fun to try something different. What will the molds be for? You could easily make all the flowers and leafs with your hands....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not posted a receipt on the blog for the applesauce cake. I don't think it's a secret but I should ask my mom first. :) I will let you know if I post it.

    Haley @thedistractedblogger

    ReplyDelete