Friday, May 20, 2011

How I Save Money - Making My Own Slipcovers

As I've said in earlier posts I want to re-do my living but don't want to spend the money right now.  What I didn't tell you is that a few years ago I wanted to update the living and didn't want to spend the money so I decided to make new cushions myself!

One of the smartest things we did when we first bought our house was to buy "This End Up" furniture.  The reason we chose that line of furniture was for it's affordability, durability and flexibility in changing designs.  In the last 18 years I have replaced the slip covers twice, once by purchasing new and once by making them myself.  It looks like I'll be choosing the making it myself option again.  Ugh!

The cost to purchase the slip covers and cushions (which do need to be replaced but I can do without) would be about $1500+.  I can get all the supplies I need for about $300, less if I can get a sale.  Since this is in our main living room it's important to me that I don't skimp and make sure I absolutely love what I buy and that there is some durability to the material.

Here's a picture of the living and the slip covers that I made.  Don't think my sewing would pass a Martha Stewart examination but I am quite pleased with how they turned out even though I am dreading doing all the work again.



Do you have any ideas on how to save money decorating?

If you like this post you might also like this:

How I Save Money Coloring My Own Hair

No comments:

Post a Comment