Saturday, October 15, 2011

Cranberry Relish

Before I met my husband I didn't realize that there was a recipe for cranberry relish.  At Thanksgiving my mother would put the requisite canned cranberry on the table that no one would eat.  At my husband's house his grandma would always bring home made cranberry relish.  It became a staple at every holiday and on Sunday's after church when we visited her.  Now that Granny's gone I continue the tradition at our house by keeping cranberry relish around all winter.  I usually serve it once or twice a week depending on what we are having.  Now when I go to my mom's for Thanksgiving Granny's relish is always requested, the canned relish has been banished from her house.

Granny's Cranberry Relish
1 bag cranberries
1 large can crushed pineapple - drained
1 large orange (or two small oranges)
1 - 2 apples, peeled and cored
3/4 cup sugar

In a food processor chop the cranberries, orange and apples.  Dump drained pineapple, cranberries, orange and apples into a bowl and add sugar.  You can add more or less sugar to taste but if you don't add enough sugar this tends to be pretty tart.

Let sit for a couple of hours before refrigerating.  I typically divide into 1 1/2 cup servings and freeze.  If freezing will last for 6-12 months.  In the refrigerator use within 2-3 weeks.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment