Thursday, October 6, 2011

How the Internet Saves Us Money

I'm sure some of you don't even really remember when there was no Internet.  Back in the day (when we walked uphill to school both ways in snow.......), unless you were super handy, a repairman was always called when an appliance went out.  Now, instead of calling a repairman, we head straight for the Internet.

This morning my husband woke me up with the news that our dryer was not heating.  When I managed to finally pull myself from bed and confirmed for myself it wasn't heating (what can I say, I'm from the Show Me State) I headed to the Internet to try and find a solution.  The number one response that came back was a blocked vent from to much lint.  Since we just bought new towels (and they were throwing off A LOT of lint) this seemed like a possible problem.  Before I left for work I checked the exhaust but didn't see a blockage.

When my husband came home I told him the potential solution, he checked and didn't think that was the problem either.  Back to the Internet for solution number two - reset the thermometer.  After following the step by step directions to re-set the thermometer we were back in business - we had heat!

Even though we aren't incredibly handy appliance repair people, by checking the Internet for simple fixes we potentially saved ourselves hundreds of dollars.  Typically the service call alone costs $75 and they may have advised replacing the whole thermostat unit, that seemed to be the usual solution according to the Internet.

Besides that fact that we saved ourselves a lot of money and actually had fun solving the problem together, the best part was how easy it was to get to the dryer since I've been re-organizing.  If you check out the before picture in my organizing the laundry room/storage area, you can see that it would have been a chore just to get a spot cleared where we could actually fix the dryer.  By having the basement organized it literally took us minutes and was relatively stress free and I was easily able to lay my hands on my toolkit.  Because the linen closet was organized I was able to immediately find the flashlight also.  Isn't organization a wonderful thing!

Do you have an Internet saving money story?  Feel free to share it in the comments or link back to your blog.

I'll be linking this up over at Life as Mom and We are THAT Family
You might also like:

September Financial Check Up
Saving for Christmas
Taming the Laundry Beast

No comments:

Post a Comment